Grilling has really become a pastime everyone is getting involved in. And when you’re first starting out you may be worried about perfecting your technique. Even experienced grill masters want the perfectly cooked steak. This is where many turn to Weber’s iGrill app connected thermometers.
In the past few years the iGrill 2 thermometer has been a great option for those looking to check the temperature of their meat. With the addition of the iGrill 3, you may be curious about what the differences are between these two versions. We hope to clarify the differences as well as guide you to the best choice for your grilling needs.
One of the biggest differences, and the one that will likely guide your decision the most is the compatibility with different grills.
Can I Use Weber iGrill 2 On Any Grill?
Yes! One of the best things about the iGrill 2 is that it can be used with any grill. This thermometer is made to be used with Weber grills but it doesn’t need to be used exclusively with these. So whether you have a new Weber grill or if you have a different model, you can use the iGrill 2.
Can I Use Weber iGrill 3 On Any Grill?
No. You can only use the iGrill 3 on specific Weber grills. The grills that the iGrill 3 are comaptible with are Genesis II, Genesis II LX, or Spirit II series grills. They made these grill with specific spots for the iGrill 3 to be installed and hooked up to certain parts of these grills. Here’s how the iGrill3 is installed in a Genesis II model grill.
If you were VERY handy you may be able to reconfigure the iGrill 3 to work with different grills, but the installation would be much more difficult. And we do not recommend this if you’re not very technical.
Number of Probes
When grilling it’s typical to cook different meats at the same time. And we all know that different meats all cook at different rates. So how do you keep track of them all?! You don’t want multiple thermometers. That’s where the iGrill line is great.
Both the iGrill 2 and the iGrill 3 have the ability to track 4 different cooking items. Each of the thermometers come with 2 cooking probes but can be expanded to 4 if you purchase additional cooking probes. There are also special ambient probes that you can mount within your grill to monitor the ambient temperature inside the grill or smoker. Having multiple options for tracking your grilling is a bit plus.
The best thing about the iGrill thermometers is that they connect to the iGrill App. The app is where you’ll track the temperature of your meats and get alerts. It also keeps a log of previous cook outs for reference. But you can’t use this with any old phone. Both the iGrill2 and the iGrill3 support the following phones/platforms.
- iPhone 4S and later
- iPad 3rd generation and later
- iPad mini all generations
- iPod touch 5th generation and later
- Many Android devices equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 and running Android software version 4.3 or later
Make sure you check your phone or device’s operating system to confirm it’s in the above list before buying either of the iGrill thermometers.
Both of these meat thermometers come with a variety of features and functions.
- Both can handle 4 probes to measure both the ambient heat in the grill and multiple cooking times.
- The probes that these thermometers use can handle heat up to 716 degrees Farenheight.
- Both have Bluetooth connectivity to sync to your phone app.
- They both use the iGrill App available at the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Both give you the option to set temperature control alerts, set timers, and save presets.
The main differences in functionality come with the battery life and the compatibility and hook up with the grills.
- The iGrill 2 has a 200 hour battery (which is cluded). The iGrill 3 boasts a 250 hour battery life (also comes with the battery).
- The appearance is another difference that may be a factor in your decision. One of the things I like about the iGrill 2 is that it has a temperature display on the outside. So if you dont’ want to pull out of your phone to see the temperature you don’t have to. This isn’t an option for the iGrill3 as you need to use the app for all read outs.
- The iGrill 3 also has the propane level sensor which the iGrill 2 does not have.
iGrill2 vs iGrill3 – The Final Decision
When comparing the two options, many will see them to be very similar. But the two main differences that should guide your decision are the grill make and type you have and whether you want a display on the outside.
If you have a Genesis II, Genesis II LX, or a Spirit II series grill, then go ahead and buy the iGrill 3. It is the most advanced and you’ll get the most from the thermometer and grill.
But, if you don’t have one of those models, and you have a grill, smoker, or both and want to use it for a variety of cooking methods then the iGrill 2 is a great bet. With all the same features but the compatibility to use on any type of cooking apparatus we think this is the best option.
We also recommend the iGrill2 over the iGrill3 because the cost of having to buy a new Genesis II grill is not equal to the benefits of having the iGrill3. Unless you already have the grill models supported it makes no sense to get an iGrill 3.
I also really like having the outside temperature display. Anyone who has a bluetooth connected device knows that it can be a bit finicky. Sometimes it doesn’t connect or disconnects at the precise time you want to use the app. And sometimes you have to be extremely close to the device in order for the bluetooth to work properly. Having the read out on the outside without having to rely on the bluetooth is a big bonus for me and many people.